Surgical Scheduler Full Time Days 0630-1500 North Pinellas
Location: Tarpon Springs, Florida
Internal Number: 21031045
Surgery Scheduler AdventHealth North Pinellas
Location Address:1395 S Pinellas Avenue, Tarpon Springs, Florida 34689
Top Reasons to Work At AdventHealth North Pinellas
Top Quality outcomes
Nurse Excellence Committee (NEC)/Governance
Leadership is accessible
Located on the Gulf of Mexico
Full Time Days 40 Hours Per Week. M-F. Medical Terminology, Surgery Scheduling Experience and Coding is what the candidate will need.
You Will Be Responsible For:
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Schedules surgeries with physicians and physician office staff by phone and fax method. Maintains and records usage of surgeon block time.
· Prepares the advance surgical schedule. Scrutinizes the tentative schedules and contacts Team Leader, Charge Nurse, Admissions, surgeons, etc. and reviews other information that affects administration of schedule.
· Appropriately consults with Nurse Manager, Lead RN, Charge Nurse, and anesthesia staff regarding schedule conflicts, concerns or requests that fall outside of established policy. Seeks input from Team Leaders regarding scheduling constraints and preferences of equipment, instruments and implants, etc. Flags all special needs.
· Calls designated departments with information for add-on cases if patients are not yet admitted to the hospital.Prepares and sends reservations for each case scheduled to designated departments within established timeframes.
· Consistently maintains and improves skills such as telephone etiquette, typing accuracy/speed, and communications.
· Responds to multiple inquiries from telephone, intercom and direct communication regarding scheduling of surgery and the main operating room suite. Occasionally communicates with the patients and/or patient’s families by phone.
· Determines the case time and balances the surgical schedule as to times anesthesia and rooms are available. Generates user-defined reports daily for effective management of tool conflicts.
· Maintains surgeons’ credentials file.
· Maintain profession, open and timely communication with case management to ensure all authorizations obtained.
· Fulfills Unit Secretary role at front desk in Main OR.
· Assists with orientation of staff members as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
What You Will Need:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and to demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Knowledge in Microsoft Word and Internet skills.
2. Ability to deal effectively with the public.
3. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
4. Ability to work and willingness to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays etc.
5. Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· 5 experience preferred
· Proficiency in computer usage, medical terminology, basic anatomy and surgical procedure knowledge
· College courses in accounting, computer operations, and communications are helpful
· Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
· Demonstrated customer service and telephone skills
· Previous experience in a medical setting, i.e. physician office, hospital, etc.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
FACILITY SPECIFIC SECTION
FUNDAMENTAL INSTITUTIONAL EXPECTATIONS
Corporate Compliance Program:
· Complies with the Employee Code of Ethics, Employee Guidelines/Policies
· Demonstrates compliance with all federal, state and local laws; rules and government.
· Verbalizes understanding of reporting process of any actual or perceived violation.
· Recognizes incidents as defined and described in the Hospital’s Institutional Policies and Procedures
· Understands the method and reasoning for reporting incidents.
· Demonstrates ability to complete the Hospital’s Incident Report Form.
· Assists others in recognizing and reducing risk within the department or other areas of the Hospital.
Environment of Care/Infection Control:
· Follows hospital and departmental Safety policies and procedures.
· Wears nametag identification and is aware of role in minimizing Security incidents.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Hazardous Materials and Waste Program, including procedures to follow in case of spill.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Life Safety Program and participates in Fire Drills as appropriate.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Emergency Preparedness Program, participates in Disaster Drills as appropriate.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Medical Equipment Program and how to report malfunctioning equipment
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Utility Systems Program and the department(s) response to utility failure.
· Follows hospital and departmental Infection Control policies and procedures.
Participates in the Program for Improving Quality
· Participates in Quality Improvement activities to improve processes and patient care.
· Implements actions, as appropriate, recommended by Quality Improvement Teams and the hospital wide Quality Coordinating Council.
Is Knowledgeable and Complies with the Stated Institutional Activities and Expectations
· Demonstrates effective communication skills with all team members, patients and families.
· Maintains satisfactory participation and attendance at required and non-required meetings and staff development programs.
· Maintains satisfactory work attendance
· Promotes evidence of adherence to the hospital confidentiality policy.
This position description reflects the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The responsibilities listed may be subject to change at any time and individuals may be asked to perform duties outside of their regular responsibilities to support the ongoing operations of Florida Hospital North Pinellas and Adventist Health System
Under the general direction of the Director of Surgical Services or Team Leaders the Scheduler participates in the functions and daily activities of the Departments. Works in collaboration with physicians, their office personnel, hospital personnel and operating room staff. Checks and implements the scheduling parameters, accurately following established guidelines of the operating room
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.