If you're looking to leverage your abilities to make a real difference - and real change in the health care industry - you belong at Banner Health. With facilities in six western states, we're committed to not only providing the finest care possible, but to advancing the way care is provided. To achieve our vision, we seek driven professionals who embrace change and who possess the passion and skills to make it happen.
As a Senior Registered Dietitian you will interact closely with our medical providers, our administration, our nursing staff, our therapy teams, and our culinary department on-site. Providing comprehensive nutritional assessments, developing appropriate nutrition care plans, monitoring outcomes, providing patient and family nutrition counseling and education, developing Nutrition Standards of Practice and Education material in collaboration with peers, participating in interdisciplinary Health Care teams and providing input into patient care, policies, programs, quality improvement activities and providing in-service education in areas of expertise.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides leadership in specialty area of clinical nutrition, establishes practice standards and serves as a mentor to educate colleagues in the specialty nutrition area. This position manages a complex caseload of patients by providing comprehensive nutritional assessments and nutrition-focused physical exams, developing and managing all aspects of appropriate nutrition care plans, and monitoring outcomes of plans. Provides patient and family nutrition counseling and education. Develops Nutrition Standards of Practice and Education material in collaboration with peers. Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary Health Care team providing input and establishing patient care policies, programs, quality improvement activities and provides in-service education in areas of expertise.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides comprehensive nutrition assessment of patients' nutritional needs, to include nutrition-focused physical exams as appropriate, with at least 50% of patient case load in designated specialty area. Obtains timely and appropriate data and analyzes/interprets data based on evidence-based standards and established practice guidelines.
2. Demonstrates and maintains competency in enteral and parenteral clinical practice protocols and oral nutrition management standard of practice as demonstrated by successful completion of initial competency exams and ongoing evaluation.
3. Writes orders to initiate and manage the nutrition care and of all assigned patients including those receiving nutrition support (parenteral and enteral nutrition) per protocols.
4. Evaluates effectiveness of the care plan and communicates effectively to the other members of the healthcare team to provide optimal nutrition outcomes. Provides pertinent information in the medical records, patient plans of care and/or clinical pathways while meeting requirements of regulatory agencies (i.e. Joint Commission, CMS, State and Local Agencies).
5. Provides nutrition education to patients, families, staff and other health care team professionals through the development of effective teaching materials and in-service programs; Evaluates patient and or family response to education.
6. Provides leadership in area of practice, establishing proper patient care procedures and acts as liaison with nursing areas. Establishes and monitors policies and procedures in area of expertise and communicates areas of concern that impact patient care in this area. Assists with program marketing through the development of effective work relationships with internal and external customers to enhance the use of services provided by clinical program. Serves as mentor to new staff and interns where assigned.
7. Participates in and identifies continuous quality improvement activities in clinical areas to ensure optimal nutrition care outcomes are achieved; Participates in clinical nutrition Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities and completes one outcome study per year to improve on quality of nutrition service or to improve nutrition outcomes. Provides additional coordination of projects and programs.
8. Demonstrates proficiency in area of practice; Responsible for developing training and educational materials to assist colleagues in developing skills in area of specialty and mentors staff members in area of specialty.
9. This position interacts with patients, families, health care providers and nutrition and dietary staff in support of providing high quality nutrition assessment, care planning, delivery and measurement of outcomes. Customers are patients, visitors, physicians and other staff members, vendors, and payors. Position communicates effectively and provides specialty education to ensure optimum nutritional care. Position works independently and provides guidance to nutrition services staff in the development of nutrition plans. Position may also provide community education. Provides leadership in specialized area of practice through participation in establishing standards and policies and procedures.
Must possess the knowledge demonstrated through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition and/or Dietetics. Must be registered through the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association and maintain ongoing registration and provide verification of registration annually. Maintains current licensure as required by State law.
Must possess a level of expertise typically achieved through three to five years clinical experience in a specialty area. Must be able to function independently and be effective at prioritizing assigned patient case load as well as the ability to lead and serve as a resource for issues.
To be classified as RD II, at least 50% of dietitian's case load must be in the specialty area. This requires documentation of certification and expertise in one of the following areas: CNSD-Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian (to year 2012); CNSC-Certified Nutrition Support Clinician; CDE-Certified Diabetes Educator; Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Nutrition (CSP); Board Certified Specialist in Renal Nutrition (CSR); Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition (CSO); Board Certified Specialist in Gerontology Nutrition (CSG); Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD). CNIS Certified Nutrition Injury Specialist--- attained through the successful completion of The Nutrition Injury-Specific Diagnostic Nutrition Residency--An Advanced Practice Approach to Diagnosing Nutritional Disorders. Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) administered by the Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists (CBNS); Board Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM). Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R26093
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.