Great careers are built at Banner Health. There's more to health care than doctors and nurses. We support all staff members as they find the path that's right for them. Apply today, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position works with the Cardiothoracic (CT) team in the management of the Artificial Heart Program patients by planning, operating, and managing mechanical circulatory devices associated with the Artificial Heart Program.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides care for patients in the Artificial Heart Program, inpatient and outpatient. Ensures consistent quality of care by providing direct supervision of patient related activities or by performing direct patient care on a regular basis. Manages pre-operative preparation ensuring patient, staff and system are fully prepared for device implantation. Collaborates with the Artificial Heart team in the management of all patients with Mechanical Circulatory Support (MCS) Devices in- patient and outpatient. Management of the MCS patient in the clinic. Promotes excellence in customer service and satisfaction.
2. Controls assist device operation and participate in the management of patients on all investigational circulatory assist devices throughout the duration of the implant. Maintains round the clock on-call status for artificial device implants as well as 24-hour patient support during the implant period. Provide standby support for unusually difficult or risky surgical cases. Repairs, tests, and calibrates all MCS devices operated by the Artificial Heart Program. Evaluates safety and performance of equipment used by the Artificial Heart Program.
3. Responsible for the program in regard to protocol development, adherence to protocols and policy and procedure review. Participates in the Artificial Heart Program continuous process improvement. Participates in establishing an outreach program to include marketing and education. Establishes and accomplishes professional goals jointly developed with the Director of the Artificial Heart program.
4. Directs education to patients and caregivers considered for implant. Coordinates and participates in the discharge teaching of implanted patients and their caregivers. Assists with education and ensures competency of those caring for patients with MCS devices including RN's, house staff, patients and their caregivers. Participates in MCS continuing education to update nursing practice.
5. Facilitates collaboration between nursing, medical staff, and other hospital departments, to insure quality, comprehensive and coordinated patient care related to MCS patients. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission, Institutional Review Board, and other regulatory agencies.
6. Implements research as it relates to the Artificial Heart Program.
7. Participates in conferences and team meetings related to MCS. Design and conduct lectures and laboratory sessions for University of Arizona students and other interested parties. Create and maintain multimedia internet publication material promotion of mechanical circulatory support devices. Publishes and presents UAMC Artificial Heart Program research findings regarding the technical development and use of cardiac assist devices. Interacts with researchers, manufacturers and medical experts.
8. Provides technical support in areas of expertise (mechanical, electrical, biomedical, and/or clinical) for the Artificial Heart Program. Uses personal computer hardware/ software and local area networks to process and analyze patient data. Stays abreast of new development in the area of Mechanical Circulatory Support.
9. Works independently to provides technical support in areas of expertise (mechanical, electrical, biomedical, and/or clinical) for the Artificial Heart Program. Interacts with physicians, program leaders, clinical and non-clinical personnel, patients and patient's family members to provide education and technical support.
Knowledge and understanding typically obtained by a Bachelor's degree in science related field and one year of circulatory device experience.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R12364
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.