Providence is calling a Wound Ostomy Nurse to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett in Everett, WA. This is a full time - day shift position.
We are seeking a Wound Ostomy Nurse to be a clinical expert who assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the care for patients with ileostomies, colostomies, and urinary diversions. He or she will function as a consultant for patients with altered skin integrity, including pressure ulcers and complicated wounds.
In this position you will:
- Provide education and consultation for patients and their families who are undergoing ostomy surgery, and patients with pre-existing stomas who are experiencing difficulty managing their care; serve as a consultant in the management of patients with altered skin integrity, including pressure ulcers, complex wound care and ostomy related skin issues.
- Consult, assess, and plan initial nursing care plan for patient with post-operative stomas and/or altered skin integrity and provide ongoing support and evaluation as needed; collaborate with staff nurses and case management staff to assist with discharge planning to ensure discharge plan addresses wound and ostomy needs of patients.
- Participate in evaluation of products and new technology for effectiveness and cost to ensure the most cost effective products are used for patient care; identify, communicate and implement opportunities for improvement in the efficient provision of patient care and systems.
- Serve as an educational resource person to members of the health care team, students, and the community.
- Assure clinical compliance with ostomy and skin care standards, participate in quality improvement processes related to the care of patients with ostomies, pressure ulcer prevention, and altered skin integrity; develop and revise standards related to ostomy, wound, and tissue trauma.
- Organize and maintain the Wound Ostomy Department and identify and communicate opportunities for expansion of current services; participate in monitoring and tracking productivity statistics and submit reports monthly to the manager as needed.
- Promote and maintain effective communications and team building.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Associate's Degree in Nursing
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Nursing within five (5) years of hire date (effective 2/2013)
- Wound Ostomy certification within two (2) years of hire date (if not certified upon hire)
- Washington State RN License
- Experience acquired from Accredited Registered School of Nursing.
- Experience managing simple and complex wounds and ostomies; specialty areas may require additional experience.
- Knowledge to perform assessments, plan patient care, provide direct care and to educate and orient families and staff.
- Ability to complete mathematical calculation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, equivalencies).
- Knowledge of human growth and development to modify services to the age and development stage of the patient.
- Ability to read, write, and understand and communicate in English, with the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Master's Degree in Nursing
- Prior work experience as Wound / Ostomy Consult Nurse, working with inter-professional health care team members
- Board certification by Wound, Ostomy Continent Nursing Society (WOCNS)
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Regional Medical Center Everett in Everett, WA is the state's most award-winning hospital for medical care; having received the HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence four years in a row. Our new state-of-the-art 12 story hospital tower and the implementation of an electronic medical records system will significantly enhance our patient's experience throughout the continuum of care.
The hospital is located in Snohomish County on the Sound and close to the mountains, so outdoor activities such as snow skiing, kayaking, and golfing are at your doorstep. The communities in Snohomish have all the comforts and appeal of small towns, with historical districts, beautiful homes, interesting boutiques, and unique restaurants, yet the city life of Seattle and Bellevue are just 30 minutes south, while the cosmopolitan city of Vancouver, BC lies only 2 hours north.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Req ID: 147275